The Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta was founded on April 22, 1848, at Jefferson College in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, when six men gathered in a dormitory room to establish the secret society of Phi Gamma Delta. These founding fathers, referred to as the “Immortal Six,” were Samuel Beatty Wilson, Daniel Webster Crofts, Naaman Fletcher, Ellis Bailey Gregg, James Elliott, Jr., and John Templeton McCarty. The Xi Deuteron chapter was founded at Western Reserve College in Hudson, Ohio on February 2, 1876.
The rewards of membership go far beyond one’s college years through continued commitment to the values, the brothers, and the Educational Foundation. This is why FIJI does not use the term “alumni” when referring to brothers who have graduated; instead we refer to them as Graduate Brothers, implying that membership extends far beyond graduation. This commitment exemplifies a motto by which all Phi Gams live by, “Not for college days alone.”
Phi Gamma Delta exists to promote lifelong friendships, to reaffirm high ethical standards and values, and to foster personal development in the pursuit of excellence. Phi Gamma Delta is committed to providing opportunities for each brother to develop responsibility, leadership, scholarship and social skills in order to become a fully contributing member of society.
Members of Phi Gamma Delta hold our Greek letters in reverence. Therefore, we limit their display to a select number of places. The nickname "Fiji" came from the Phi Gams at New York University, when they were trying to decide the name for a fraternity-wide magazine and "Fee Gee" was suggested (a play on the Greek letters Phi and Gamma). In 1894, Fiji was adopted as the fraternity-wide nickname for Phi Gamma Delta.